Promptastic is a flavored prompt for Bash shell which provides info about the running system and environment in a fancy colored output. It works under Mac OS X and Linux.
Promptastic is heavily inspired by Powerline and Powerline-shell which I have been using for a long time and realized that the former is complicated to install, slightly bloated and more suitable for Vi users, while the latter is unmaintained and a bit buggy.
- shows the name of the logged user, the host name, the current directory path and the time;
- provides a feedback if the current directory is read-only or is not a valid path;
- warns if the last command exited with a failure code;
- displays the number of active jobs;
- reveals the name of the active Python virtualenv environment;
- presents details about the current Git branch and the status of the staging area and commit;
- adds a special label in case of SSH connection;
- any feature can be enabled/disabled via a config file;
- colored output: there are a bunch of themes to choose from and new themes can be easily created;
- simple and automatic installation procedure;
- written in Python.
Key technologies used in Promptastic:
- Bash shell scripting
- Git, GitHub